The Great Backyard Bird Count starts today

it is an annual four day event that engages bird lovers of all ages to help create a real time snap shot of where the birds are across the continent.



Anyone can participate from experts to beginners like me .. For more information you can check out the GBBC website



It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!

1. Plan to count birds for at least 15 minutes on one or more days of the count. You can count for longer than that if you wish! Count birds in as many places and on as many days as you like—one day, two days, or all four days. Submit a separate checklist for each new day. You can also submit more than one checklist per day if you count in other locations on that day.

2. Count the greatest number of individuals of each species that you see together at any one time. You may find it helpful to print out your regional bird checklist to get an idea of the kinds of birds you're likely to see in your area in February. You could take note of the highest number of each species you see on this checklist.

3. When you're finished, enter your results through our web page. You'll see a button marked "Enter Your Checklists!" on the website home page beginning on the first day of the count. It will remain active until the deadline for data submission on March 1st.



Because it has been so cold and wet around here this winter I haven't been able to enjoy my feeders as much as I like, so I set up a little feeding station right outside the window beside my computer desk. It has been so much fun being able to sit here and watch all the different types of birds come and go and to watch my kitty's they will sit and watch for hours.. Miss Pris 's teeth chatter while she is watching ..lol She wants a bird so bad .. lol



Our windows are tinted so the birds see themselves and start tapping on the window it's like they are saying here kitty, kitty .. lol



is there anything sweeter than the little chickadees ..






Once I started putting out whole peanuts the big blue jays are coming 3 and 4 at a time .. They are really fun to watch they will pick through the nuts till they find the perfect one ..

Have a wonderful weekend everyone take sometime to watch the birds, I promise it is like hot chocolate for the soul ... lol

Don't forget Cynthia over at Savannah's Secret Gardens is going to be sharing all kinds of great tips on attracting birds to your garden tomorrow at 1:30 and she is having a sale on Hummingbird feeders ..

Saturday show special ...
all Hummingbird Feeders10% to 50% off
Saturday, February 13, 2010 only

We will begin at 1:30 pm at the
Highway 17
Showroom and Gardens
5657 Ogeechee Road
Savannah, Georgia

(912) 341-8002 or (912) 233-1419



Brayci and her grandma

Happy First Birthday to Miss Brayci
We can't wait to come to your party tomorrow.. maybe we can play in some snow together after we tear up some cake ..lol

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ... yes they are predicting 1-3 inches of snow for coastal Georgia .. lol even Tybee Island might get some ..
Maybe Miss Diane of Mermaid Cottages on Tybee will share some snow pictures with us ..

hugs ya'll, Cherry

5 comments

  1. Oh yeah baby already sent in my bird count from this morning for an hour. 9 different species in my front yard in two pear trees with feeders!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I have to go count my birds now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful pictures.

    My sister helped with the count here last year.

    We have noticed a shortage of Blue Jays, which is no skin off my back, but I wonder why...they are sensitive to west nile, I believe, so maybe that is what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the birds displayed. They are so colourful and have character of their own. Great!! ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm participating in the GBBC, too Cherry, and have seen just 1 blue jay all winter! Unusual or my yard. They're usually here in droves. I do get tons of bluebirds, though, and they are sweeter to the other birds so I'm happy about that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. It is so much fun to read everyone's thoughts on my ramblings .. I love to go blog hopping so look for me to be visiting you soon.
hugs, Cherry

Sorry Anonymous comments are not allowed

If you would like to receive my posts in your inbox.. You can Subscribe to Cherry's in the Garden and More by Email