fun friday downtown


Posted by Picasa

Friday was the St. John's Holly Day's Bazaar they have a big White Elephant Sale with books, toys, and a jewelry room upstairs then downstairs is a huge room full of what some would call junk and others would call treasures my favorite finds was a white ceramic watering pitcher, a book called Cookies food writers favorites 1991 , then another book from Country living called Seasons that is filled with beautiful pictures of gardens.

There was also a couple of other books, sea shells & baskets
( which I drag home every time I hit a junk store or yard sale ) an old rolling pin, some lace panels.
( I also have a weakness for old kitchen gadgets, lace & linens )
After going through the junk room many times and two trips to the car because Miss April found many treasure that gal can pick up a piece of lint and see a craft project .. lol
We moved on to the courtyard to see what else we could find.

The church ladies make chutneys, jellies & jams which are all wonderful my favorite is an Orange cranberry chutney that I buy every year I have seen ladies get a little feisty over this stuff when it gets down to the last jars. I don't know how many jars where made this year but I can tell you it was not enough because it was all gone by the time I got around there which was less than an hour after they opened !! boohoo ..

I did get two jars of the scuppernong which is made from local grapes that is really tasty but I am going to miss that chutney with my turkey for Thanksgiving ...

The garden section was filled with many beautiful plants, local gardening books, tools, pretty pots and our favorite gloves Atlas ... they even potted up Paper Whites in clay pots a few weeks ago so they had some nice growth on them.

The church and it's grounds are so beautiful my girlfriend April & I love going every year they serve lunch which is always yummy while organist's play you just want to sit in the courtyard and take it all in for as long as you can.

5 comments

  1. Looks like a wonderful time!

    I'm a big fan of chutney, too. I could eat it at every meal!

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a splendid way to spend an afternoon. I love your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time. I have a terrible weakness for buying secondhand linens. But, many of them have never even been used and are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful time at St. John's Holly Day's Bazaar.
    Orange cranberry chutney must be really good. Never heard of "scuppernong", what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had such a great time at the bazaar. I love sales like that, too. I love old linens, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. It is so much fun to read everyone's thoughts on my ramblings .. I love to go blog hopping so look for me to be visiting you soon.
hugs, Cherry

Sorry Anonymous comments are not allowed

If you would like to receive my posts in your inbox.. You can Subscribe to Cherry's in the Garden and More by Email